Tuesday 17 March 2015

Feature Artist: Romeo Crow



So this month, I'd like to share something rather different than what we are typically used to. Romeo Crow, who is a well rounded artist from London that redefines simplicity and sophistication in his sound. His music is simple yet sophisticated and I just think this is what people need. I think his style personally reflects his character and that is a good thing and it tells a lot about himself. Lots of positive vibes and I enjoy it. Below is an interview I conducted through email so that you can better understand what he is all about, have a read.

- So tell me a little bit about yourself
Sure; I'm a singer-songwriter and producer based in London. I write and record in my studio at home, in and among my daughter's toys! Having the flexibility to get songs developed and out ASAP - without waiting on anyone else - is a huge asset, as I can play all the instruments and mix/master myself. But it does have it's downsides; I love getting out and working with other artists and writers too - you really get greater than the sum of your parts!

- How did you started out?
I taught myself to play the guitar in my teens and got one of those old Tascam Portastudios (still have it!); I was always writing songs straight from the off, perhaps not very good ones, but still trying! And having the ability to record them down was really important to me - there were too many ideas in my head to keep them all there. After a while I moved on to MiniDisc, then a Zoom H4N, a piece of kit I still use, and eventually onto a desktop DAW.

- Who and what are your influences?
I love rock acts like Zeppelin, AC/DC and Rage Against the Machine, but I also love funk, blues and soul. Dance too; if it sounds good it IS good! Simple as that. So I've got a LOT of influences, right back to Motown greats, Great American Songbook crooners and way back into classical. But if there was one artist that really wraps it all up in one, for me, it's Prince. He can do it all; live and in the studio. There's a guy with a work-ethic and skill-set to work towards!

- What is your music all about?
Positively moving your life forward. I'm a great believer in the intrinsic awesomeness is everyone; we can all achieve amazing things. Unfortunately all too often we let "life" shackle us. It might be something completely "fair" or "valid" but, nonetheless, we allow it to hold us from our potential. Of course not every song I write has this theme, but I noticed a large proportion of my lyrics reflect these ideas, even without me realizing it!

- Where do you see your music in the next 5 years?
Better! That's to say my own skills in performing and production will have improved - I'm always challenging myself to push the boundary of my comfort zone, not necessarily because what I'm aiming for is that difficult for others with the skills, but because I don't yet have them, so I want to improve myself to get to, and then beyond, that point. So in five years I expect my output to be of a higher "quality" - at least in terms of technical and song-craft skills if nothing else!

- Any major achievements, concerts and etc as an artist
The biggest achievement I've made - and the most important - is the ability to follow my dream of creating music for a living. As much of a cliché as that may sound I think that's one of the most important goals for anyone, in any walk of life. To be able to do what you love, and earn enough to make ends meet is, for me, a major part of feeling happy and fulfilled as a person and a great definition of success.


- Any albums out there or that is in the works? If so, how can we access your material
I'm really focused on bringing a LOT more songs out this year and moving forwards from there. As a result I've put out a couple of EPs already this year, with more to come - I've really hit a good stride! You can get my first EP, from 2013, for free by going to free.romeocrow.com. That's a good place to start as, though it's not my best, or most developed music, it's the beginning of my evolution! Then, as you go from there, you'll hear the improvements in my later stuff; you can go on the journey with me, as it were!


- Also, any Twitter, YouTube, Instagram accounts that people can follow?
Sure; if you look up /RomeoCrow on pretty much any social media you can find me. Best place to start with that, though, is at my website RomeoCrow.com - there you'll have links to all my various social sites. I spend a couple of hours a day replying to messages, particularly on Facebook and Twitter, so do come and say hello, I do my best to answer everyone! :D


- Are you currently signed with any label?

No and, to be honest, not really looking at the moment. That's not to say it might change in the future but I'm very happy with how things are; I get to spend a lot of time with my family, travel when I want and work when I want; it's nice not to be at a label's beck and call! Of course labels can be extremely helpful, but I'm not a young man looking for a sex, drugs and rock'n'roll tour (been there, done that!), I'm a homebody! Most of all, though, I'm privileged to be able to speak directly with the people that matter most to me in my music on a daily basis - my fans. So, though a label can be very beneficial, it's not something I really need to keep doing what I'm doing.





        Definitely one of my favorite works by Romeo Crow so far, really well done. Have a listen!












No comments:

Post a Comment